Tuesday 5 March 2013

Plastic Fantastic! Women's SS13 Fashion Trends

Ultra modern and slightly kinky. The two phrases that sum up my next spring/summer 2013 trend. Plastic has sneaked onto the scene almost everywhere this season, from wet-look whites, to dramatic brights.


Burberry, SS13

This look reminds me of childhood, remember those jelly shoes that I'm sure we all had a pair of?! Well, this is a similar kind of thing, only it's not just jelly shoes. It's 'jelly' coats and dresses, bags and macs. The glossier the finish, the better as far as this trend goes.

What I like about this trend is that it comes in a variety of 'ways to wear'. For the bold; a bright blue Holly Fulton jacket, for the not so bold; a plastic accent such as those seen on Hussain Chalayan's wide-brimmed hats (a bit space age but some people dig futuristic fashion and who am I to judge). I personally love the look this way, a plastic peplum here, a kinky collar there.

 
Chalayan, SS13




Holly Fulton, SS13

This trend ties in nicely to the high-shine of iridenscense. Wear your plastics with shimmering finishes to kill two birds with one suitably stylish stone. Stick to nudes and sheer or incorporate high-gloss accessories for a more subtle way to wear.


Simone Rocha, SS13

Although I don't think I'm brave enough to wear head-to-toe polyethylene or some such other substance without looking like Jessica Rabbit, (and not a sexy human representation-the actual cartoon version), there is a place for plastic accents and accessories in my book. Perfect to add a smidge of texture and detail to an outfit.

Are you brave enough to try this trend? Let me know your thoughts!



No comments:

Post a Comment