Tuesday 24 July 2012

Perfectly Presentable Swimwear




Hey All! How are we today? First thing’s first I’m going to fill you in on the vintage event I went to last night! It was brilliant! Held by Lizze May Vintage (@LizzyMayVint) the clothes were really cute and they had a huge selection. I tried on two skirts, one white cotton number with a really pretty embroidered detail on the hem, just above knee length-very 70s; the other was black A-line with two rows of embroidered circle detailing to the hem-very 60s. I bought the white cotton and am sure will be wearing it very soon for pics to go up! It really is perfect for the summer. There were also yummy cakes provided by One Jolly Girl (@OneJollyGirl) on the most charming vintage china, along with cups of tea and coffee in an array of beautiful vintage cups and saucers all provided by The Crockery Shed (@thecrockeryshed). The two aforementioned companies I know cater for a variety of events so if you have anything coming up definitely look into using them, I know I will be for the grand official opening of Perfectly Presentable! The picture of what I wore; The Kooples skirt, Zara shirt, Jimmy Choo clutch bag and KG shoes, is on Twitter (not very vintage but very bright for the beautiful sunny weather!)

Now down to business…I will again be spending the day out in the garden sunbathing today (even though I have to admit I did get slightly burnt on my thighs and tummy yesterday, even though I used copious amounts of suncream! I guess that’s what an English complexion gets you!). So I thought that an appropriate subject for today’s post would be swimwear! I’ve seen everyone and everywhere lately tweeting and writing and advertising swimwear due to the very welcome appearance of the sun over the last few days so I thought I would review some of my favourites, provide advice on what’s hot and what’s not this summer and how to look your best wherever it is you choose to bronze yourself!

So as you may have read yesterday I was tanning it up in a blue and white Aztec print bikini from Debenhams, today I am favouring a navy Frost-French bikini covered in white polka dots with frills everywhere! I think this particular choice is the marmite of my swimwear collection-you either love it or hate it. I happen to love it. I bought both of these bikinis two years ago and still get so much use out of them. Here’s why: Nautical and Print are always winners in the swimwear world. Especially if the print is monochrome, aztec or brights. Stick to this rule and you too will get years of wear out of your bikinis. Two of my favourites this year are the Missoni Aztec swimsuit which not only covers the print trend but also the crochet trend that we are seeing a lot of in summer 2012 swimwear and the Odabash swimsuit in white with black flame like pattern that will give the most incredible curves.

This year also sees a sixties and seventies inspired revival with high-waisted bottoms paired with bandeau bikini tops. Throw into the mix a suitably retro print and you’re onto a winner, for example the Zinke Kristen frill bandeau (there are retro pastel print and popsicle pink versions) top and high-waisted bottoms (available on asos.com from £65) is super on trend! The cute print available on this bikini is also available as detailing on another lobster red bustier bikini from Zinke called the Starboard bikini, which in my opinion is another failsafe this summer.

Another trend for those of us that are brave enough this summer is going nude. Neutral tones and nudes are big news this summer, and yes it is daunting appearing naked on a beach, but the sheer variety of shades out there means that there really is a nude bikini to suit everyone! With a bit of thought you can match your skin-tone correctly and after a few days of bronzing that nude bikini will really accentuate your colour. Just remember the paler you are the more block pattern, bronze bikinis will show off your tan, the darker you are the more nude you can go! If you are feeling shy try bikinis that couple nude inserts with block colours, fluoro or black inserts alongside the nude will also highlight your tan and you will be able to wear the trend whilst preserving your modesty. Emilio Pucci has a brilliant selection of nude swimwear or go to beachtomato.com to see the fabulous selection they have put together.

So I’ve given you a few swimsuits and bikinis that I love, now for the cover-ups for those of you, like me, with your English complexions that are unfortunately all too eager to turn pink. Firstly grab a hat. Any Hat. They’re big news this summer, from seventies inspired floppy, wide-brimmed beauties to funky fedoras we have absolutely fallen in love with headwear this summer. I bought a Christy’s straw trilby that I live in and I am soon to be investing in the Erdem Bergen flower print scarf that I will be fashioning into some sort of turban come headscarf delight, as seen a lot on the likes of Nicole Ritchie and Kim Kardashian already this summer. Top Tip: Choose a material that will be easy to wash, we all know that suncream is greasy and messy, so if you’re investing in a beautiful silk scarf that gets ruined on its first outing then those summer blues will not be easily cured. Also choose colours that will be big this AW12, emerald greens, aubergine, bronze so that after the summer you can continue to wear your investment hanging beautifully around your neck. Try vintage shops and markets for stunning scarves at really reasonable prices. (All pics on Twitter @RachelETranter).

Right well, that’s all from me today! I’m going to try and bronze myself and hopefully then I’ll be able to pull off one of the wonderful nude bikinis. My fave is from Lanvin but the £690 price tag is definitely making it a piece to wear only in my dreams!
Enjoy the sunshine!

Love, love,
x RT @ PP x 

No comments:

Post a Comment