Wednesday 22 August 2012

Leather for AW12

Perfectly Presentable Leather

Good afternoon PPRs! How are we all today? I have had a manic, but albeit wonderful day! I've managed to get 101 things done and I also got an internship at Suave Lifestyle as their fashion and style editorial writer! Yay! How exciting! So look at me go with my fashion blog here and my fashion blog there! Hopefully soon I will be the number one stop for all the information on key trends for AW12 and beyond! Look out Liberty London Girl (here's hoping!)!

In today's post I'm going to focus on leather as a trend for AW12. It has been seen all over the catwalks, womenswear and menswear alike, on jackets, bags, hats; you name it we've seen it! So I thought I would give you tips on how to wear this season's key trend as it features in the Goth Chic, Embellishment and Power Woman trends, and of course is always the uber luxe material of accessories design. YSL (pictured below) does it exquisitely this season and really is the top of the leather-loving, all-woman, super sexy game for AW12.

Who out of all of us owns a leather jacket? Hands up. Who out of all of us has thought about buying a leather jacket, ever? Hands up. Who has a pair of leather trousers? Hands up. And who doesn't own a pair of leather trousers because you're too scared you won't pull them off but you secretly lust after them? Hands up. I expect that the majority of people reading this post will be sitting with their hands up right about now. I know I am! We fell in love with leather seasons and seasons ago, the leather jacket being the primary item to hook us into this luxurious and extravagant fabric. Then in 2010 along came leather in a whole new way, dresses, skirts, trousers (that actually looked incredible on, not like you were about to round up a herd of cattle or go to work on a street corner, if you know what I mean?!) and once again, it's back for AW12.
I'm sure we all wish we could look as gorgeous as Alice Dellal in leather! 
(Jacket by Valentino, Trousers by Burberry; photograph from The Telegraph)

We have all seen that the Neo-Goth trend is taking the fashion world by storm this AW12. Think black, black than black, team it with lace and velvet and above all, leather. It doesn't matter how but just work it in there any way you can. I love this Zara leather peplum jacket, it will instantly give you a super on-trend look and is so easy to throw on over any outfit. If there's one thing I will be buying this AW12 it will be this!

Another prime example of the trend is Stuart Vevers at Loewe. He worked leather in any which way he could to the beaustiful AW12 collection. The entirety of which was black (except one pop of pink in a rather divine oversized gilet) and leather featured heavily. Here's the hat I mentioned earlier! Plus the leather detail on the lapel contrasting with the fur jacket in the second picture is a dream for the senses. This collection was very grown-up with an understated edginess provided by the use of leather, either in whole pieces or inserts to set off another material. Either way I like what I see.

If black is not really your colour, never fear! It's not just the Neo-Goths that can wear leather. It's so big this season that designers are using it in a variety of colours and tones. Haider Ackermann, (one of my favourite designers on the planet!) famous for his love of rich colours, leather and draping has a plethora of designs to take inspiration from. I love this Square Collar Leather Trench Jacket in Chocolate. It oozes sophistication and elegance whilst also providing that layered look that is so big for AW12.


Just remember to keep the tones rich and warm when wearing coloured leather for AW12. Keep it classic and you'll be able to wear it for years!

Now for the fella's. As I mentioned in my menswear special leather is big for guys this season. The big four (London, New York, Paris and Milan) were full to the brim with leather looks, from entire three piece suits at Jil Sander (pictured below) to a flash of leather on a lapel, the stuff really was everywhere. I personally am not a fan of too much leather on a man, but it's amazing to see the craftsmanship that these designers  it to their creations. All I will say is that if you want to rock the head to toe leather look, just make it designer or there will be bulges where you don't want bulges, creases where you don't want creases and I'm guessing a horrible itching and chaffing feeling at some rather inappropriate times!

The leather looks for guys that I am buying into are the leather lapels on suits (see YSL below), which is so, so sexy, and the leather jacket. But choose wisely, Look to the experts at Burberry Prorsum (pictured below) as there's something about an ill fitting leather jacket that no matter how hard you try, you just look like something out of Grease.

So my PPRs! That's it for today! I hope you like the post as much as I'm liking leather this season! And I hope I've provided some good inspiration for you all on how to wear leather for AW12.

Love, love,
x RT @ PP x

Here are a couple of my favourite high street finds to send you off with!
All Saints Leather Biker Pencil Skirt £175

Reiss Becky 1971 Reiss
Reiss 'Becky' Leather Jacket £350

BCBG Leather Insert Leggings £138

H&M Leather Peplum Top £39.99



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to see that leather was a trend for AW12. Would you say that leather accessories such as belts, bags, purses etc are timeless?

    ReplyDelete