Saturday 4 August 2012

My Favourite Designer-The Perfectly Presentable Low-Down




Hey PPRs! Happy Saturday! I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend, enjoying all the Olympic action and I must say a HUGE congrats to Team GB! I’m so proud to be British right now, every athlete is so humble and gracious and all provide excellent role models for our country. No wonder we are called Great Britain!

Today I’m going to be talking about my favourite designer of the moment, I have too many to count, but for this post I will be focusing on Joseph Altuzarra. The AW12 collection absolutely leapt out at me as soon as I saw it and the entirety has been permanently engrained in my brain since so I have to share with you my wonderful PPRs!


Joseph Altuzarra

Born and raised in Paris, the first 18 years of his life were spent living with his Chinese-American mother and French father. Aged only 24, Altuzarra started his own fashion line of the same name in New York in 2008. Before this Altuzarra has an enviable CV, working for some of the most well respected fashion houses in the world. Upon graduating from Swarthmore College with a BA in Art and Art History graduate, Altuzarra moved to New York where he started an internship at Marc Jacobs.

 For his next challenge, Altuzarra moved to Proenza Schouler as a freelance designer then onto learn the technicalities of fashion design apprenticing under Nicholas Caito (former head of Rochas Atelier).

Altuzarra spent two years in New York learning his trade before returning to complete his knowledge acquisition in Paris under the tuition of Riccardo Tisci (now creative director at Givenchy) working as his first assistant.

It was here that Altuzarra perfected his skills and gained the confidence to open his own line which I am overjoyed to announce produces a gorgeously feminine, beautifully flattering and effortlessly chic womenswear collection. Seen here modelling one of his own snakeskin dresses for W magazine, it’s nice to see that he has a playful side too…something that makes me love him and his work even more. Plus the fact the he is a dog person, sharing his home with his boyfriend and his Schnauzer Bean!

The brand is going from strength to strength, with Altuzarra winning the much coveted Vogue/CFDA Fashion Fund this year on top of the $300,000 he won last year which he used to move to larger offices and hire a production manager in order to grow his already accomplished brand. If you haven’t seen his collections yet then definitely go and check them out! His distinctive style is a mixture of Parisian chic and New York cool and is beautifully sculptured to provide a modern yet elegant wardrobe for the discerning woman. Altuzarra is super hard-working, with a true and deep love for fashion, what he says about his work: “The design process for me involves pushing ideas through to their ultimate conclusion. Pushing the fashion hard, you know? I guess, though, ultimately I always start with the idea of desirability. The idea of ‘If I were a woman what would I want to wear right now?’” Love, love, love this mantra...

His top five looks from the AW12 collection:

1.      The Pea Coat, fully buttoned.


2.      Cargo trousers tucked into those oh-so gorgeous over the knee boots.


3.      The white sweater with fringing.


4.      The Indian tiered dress.


5.      The Cheongsam inspired dress with the white cravat and split to the thigh.


My personal favourites from the AW12 collection:




I love the mixture of power-woman, neo-goth and embellishment that work perfectly together. Altuzarra just gets it right where many would go way OTT.

That’s all for today PPRs! I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s post as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it! And I hope you love Altuzarra as much as I do!
Tonight I’m going for drinks and then to the cinema so I’m off to get ready! Not sure on the outfit choice yet!

Have a pleasant evening everyone!

Love, love
x RT @ PP x

No comments:

Post a Comment