Wednesday 1 August 2012

Perfectly Presentable Bags!




In today’s post I will be talking about one of the great loves of my life…handbags!
We are all aware that a bag can transform a rather plain outfit into one that is the envy of every girl in every room that you step into (and even some of the guys!). However we don’t buy bags as often as we do clothes, and therefore I personally think that much more thought is required when making that next purchase to make it tote-ally special! To make it a bag that you will love and treasure and wear forever. So how do we know which ones to hand over our hard earned cash for…? Well that’s simple. If you can’t stop staring, if it takes your breath away and you feel like you couldn’t possibly go on without it, then buy it! Even if you think that you won’t wear it, or it won’t go with anything you have, if you love it so much you will make sure that you throw an outfit together to go with it! One piece of advice though, don’t splurge on a whim. If you are out shopping and it’s the first thing you see, put it on hold until the end of the day, or better the day after if possible. Go and have a look elsewhere and then go back, maybe do a little research online if you are going on a dedicated shopping trip for which you have saved a lot of money to spend on a designer item, and lastly, do not be pressured. Sales assistants, friends, boyfriends-don’t let them pressure you into buying or not buying, ask their opinion fine, but remember it’s you who has to live with the choice!

My advice comes from my own personal bag-buying experiences-if you are spending lots of money and going designer start by buying more practical items that you really will get the wear out of. Build up your collection gradually, don’t rush it and end up bankrupting yourself (read on to hear how I know this!) and if you want fashion pieces then buy high-street to start off with, this way if they go out of fashion, you haven’t lost out on too much money. 

So, one day whilst at University I was admiring the most beautiful bag I had ever seen, it was a tan mulberry ponyskin Bayswater that glistened in the light, with red and blonde hues, shiny and perfect. To this day I have the image of it embedded in my brain. I was in love, however being a student at the time, the £2000 price tag swiftly and quite devastatingly tore my poor little heart in two. At this moment I decided that I must own a Mulberry, even if it meant selling my soul to satan, (or in this case blowing over half of the money that was to get me through the entire term in Nottingham)! The one I chose was nowhere near the ponyskin pricetag, but it was by far the most expensive thing I had bought so far in my life. It was a fuschia pink, patent leather giant weekend bag and I do not regret it for one minute…This bag is my go to weekend bag and I think I’ve used it in 99% of cases involving an overnight stay somewhere; all in all a very tiny price per wear, a beautiful bag that will last me my entire life and best of all the intoxicating feeling of pure and sparkling ecstasy at owning something designer, something Mulberry. I got the bug.

After owning this heavenly holdall for a few months I came to realise this fact more and more. I was using this bag quite often and it got me thinking…if I was using a holdall this much then how much would I use just a regular, everyday bag? The price per wear of that would be even tinier! Bing, the lightbulb lit up, I’ll spend what’s left of the only money I have to get through the term on another, more practical, (but still as beautiful) everyday bag. I waltzed into town thinking of all the different styles and colours and what I should buy, and I thought of how much pleasure that Mulberry had given me. It was decided, I had to have another. I am pleased to say though that I thought about this purchase long and hard and decided to go for a style that I would wear again and again, that would fit in all of the essentials: phone, purse, make-up, all of the other random crap that seems to accumulate in the bottom of a handbag, and there in the shop I saw the one. A Mulberry across body bag in tan leather, I can’t remember the name (shame on me) but it is much like the Bella Messenger that is on sale currently. Gorgeous and practical and again, to this day I do not regret it at all (even if it did mean having to bite the bullet and get a job, which actually turned out to be one of the most fun jobs that I have ever had, working in a bar-The Bag ‘o’ Nails, so I guess this Mulberry has done more for me than I have ever realised before)!

My next purchase, a Marc by Marc Jacobs Navy Patent clutch I bought in the summer sale again whilst still at Uni, I had just bought some gorgeous Navy Kurt Geiger heels and needed the clutch to match obviously! From then on I made a deal with myself to buy less often but better quality and this has paid off no end. I have managed to build up a beautiful collection, including Prada, Alexander McQueen, DKNY, Gucci, Jimmy Choo and Vivienne Westwood. Sometimes I wish I could just go out and buy ten bags that are really hot right now, and I guess I could if I wanted, but this way my bags feel special. I feel like I’ve worked my ass off to get them and I’m proud to hold them. I started buying practically and now I sometimes splurge on pieces that I won’t wear as often, but the one thing my bags have in common? I love them, and that’s one thing I’ll say to you, make sure that you really love a bag before buying it.

The trends I’m buying into this season are:

Embellishment. Over-the-top, in-your-face opulence as seen in Balmain, Louis Vuitton and Dolce and Gabbana. Although the trend this season is more decadent than we have seen it before (embroidery, rich luxurious fabrics, jewels and crystals teamed with heavy prints and an array of colours and metallics), embellishment always seems to rear its beautiful head. Opt for a gorgeously detailed design in clutch form to really add va va voom to any outfit, and then if the OTT trend dies down next year you will still own a bit of bling for a more toned down look. 

Androgyny. It’s back again! We can’t get enough of the sex-appeal that is masculine tailoring and this season I’m loving Paul Smith, Hermes and Preen. Accessories wise try a structured doctors bag, Mischa Barton does a gorgeous one called Magnolia in tan.

Gothic Chic. Black is back again for AW12. Add dramatic silhouettes, lace and leather as seen in Bottega Veneta, Giles and Altuzarra (my personal favourite). Although this look often makes an appearance in AW seasons, (think also of the fetish look from last year) this time round it’s all about gothic glamour with cinched in waists, jaw-dropping gowns and uber-luxe materials with the appearance of a few nude and coloured hues. Oh-so elegant. For bags look no further than Alexander McQueen to satisfy the goth trend!

All Woman. Think cinched-in waists, peplums and rich luxurious colours as seen on the catwalks of Haider Ackermann, Burberry Prorsum and Jil Sander. I absolutely love this look, it’s feminine and gorgeous; Sander uses smoky pinks and creamy coffee colours in curve hugging shapes that define womanly beauty and Ackermann uses a deliciously rich colour palette with the infamous draping that he is so well-known for. The thick leather belts in black and blush pink leather are a must-have! The bag-talk of this trend is all about berry-colours and luxurious leathers. Oversized clutches (as seen at Chloe) scream understated chic and large totes, such as the Mulberry Dorset in Forest Fruit are bang-on!


I hope I’ve given you some helpful insights on what to look for when buying a bag, I also hope that I’ve outlined a few of my favourite trends for AW12 to look out for if you’re thinking of buying a new bag for the new season! As far as summer bags go, I love anything bright, pastel, white or metallic for SS12.
Bye for now my Perfectly Presented readers! Have a fabulous evening!

Love, love

x RT @ PP x

Also, everyone needs to check out the Louis Vuitton collaboration with celebrated Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, thought up by creative director, Marc Jacobs. It’s fun, it’s bright and best of all, it’s all covered in polka dots!

No comments:

Post a Comment